Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Interview: Priyamanjiri Todi

Priyamanjiri Todi creates fashion jewellery in silver with semi-precious stones. She speaks to Shaista Bharwani about her favourite stone and her plans on venturing into gold jewellery.


Why did you decide to design semi-precious silver jewellery instead of expensive diamond and gold pieces?

When I started designing, I never really wanted to work with expensive jewellery. I always wanted to make fashion jewellery because you can be much more creative when you are working with silver and semi-precious stones. You can experiment with textures and you have the liberty of being very funky and edgy. I am planning on making real gold jewellery in my upcoming collections. But that too will be the very trendy kind.


What is your favourite stone and why?

Turquoise is my favourite because the kinds of stones that I love using are those that are available in natural form and that have a rugged, organic look to them. Also, turquoise is available in so many shapes, sizes and colours that no two pieces look similar. You can always make a different, unique piece out of it.


How do you plan your designs and collections?

I usually take bi-annual trips to Jaipur or wherever I get my stones from. First I buy the gems and then I design accordingly. I base my stones and designs according to the seasons, whether it is the summer, festive, marriage or party season. In summer, I use bright colours like lots of whites, pale pinks, blues, aquamarines, opals and lemon quartz. For the festive season, I design more classic pieces with pearls and gold finishes.


What is your personal style in jewellery?

I love bold, chunky pieces, which is what I make and wear as well. I like to wear just a pair of earrings or a chunky bracelet or neckpiece that makes a statement.


What are your future plans?

As I mentioned, I plan on designing real funky, creative gold jewellery. I also want to try and get into export and supply to the international market and boutiques all over the world.

http://www.ftv.co.in/fspot/fspot_images/613Untitled-1%20copy437.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment